Skip to main content

Road trip to the chookshed


Last week I had two special friends come over for a sleepover, they had heard all about the nest ( my new sewing room) and felt that since they were pretty knowledgable about both nests and sewing they would pop over to check it out.




They happily jumped up on the chair and helped out with some sewing




Peg and Dale were the very first guest to sleep over in the nest




We talked about my road trip to Chookyblues and since Peg and Dale knew I was finishing night duty the morning I was heading off they felt that I needed some company for the trip, they jumped up and rode shot gun with me, they were great travel companions they never complained once about my singing or my music. Peg even helped me out by sharing my popcorn, it definetly helped my waist line.




We arrived at our destination just as the sun was going down, and let me tell you the views were spectacular, I could have stopped a dozen times to take photo's



We received a big warm welcome to the chookshed




And we stocked the fridge ready for the weekend




Over the weekend we had a glass of bubbles or two




The lovely Jules dropped in on both days to do some stitching with us, and even brought us some super yummy date scones.





When I arrived my winding ways quilt was in many pieces, as it had been for about 18 months , I had to finish a few blocks, And then we were able toput the design wall to use and played with block placement, it was a definite collaborative job with Chooky, Jules and I all working together to get it just right.

Chooky even did the cutting of the borders for me




By the end of the weekend, my winding ways was completed and I am absolutely thrilled with it . . . . .
Check out the spunky pink slippers

Chooky and I decided that we should have a bit of a play so we pulled out her 60 degree ruler and a tub of fabric and together we worked creating what we dubbed 60 degrees of fun





The pieces came together quickly, and even though some stitching was done after the bubbles, in no time at all




We had all the blocks how we wanted them, by the time I left on Monday morning we had four rows joined and Chooky looked pretty keen to keep going. As you can see the girls were supervising us and our work.




My winding ways quilt was not my only completed project on the weekend, Chooky encouraged me to use starters and finishers , and in this case I used my June nine patch blocks and in no time . . . . Tah dah finished nine patch blocks




Driving home I took the opportunity to stop and take some photos, these sheep were not real keen to move off their road . . . . . And I didn't mind they made a great photo.




And since the other photo did nt really show my blocks, here is another shot so everyone can see my lovely chookyblue inspired nine patch blocks.

We had a fabulous time, it was wonderful spending time with such an inspiring friend and her absolutely lovely family.

"I hope your hands are working on a project that you love"

Ciao






Comments

Anita said…
Perfect weekend!
Anonymous said…
what a wonderful weekend spent with bloggy friends,love the quilts you girls achieved alot,well done.xx
Fiona said…
how great to catch up and get so much sewing done too.... I love your winding ways.. each time I look there seems another pattern... glad to see Peg and Dale having fun too!!
Hugz
LOL....perfect weekend for sure...love all your 'works'...nothing better, special friends, sewing, some bubbles....xxx
Susan said…
Sounds like you had a lovely stitchy weekend together. I really like your winding ways quilt, looks good put together.
Anne Lise said…
It seems that you have had a wonderful weekend.
I really love your winding ways quilt and specially the blueish circle on it. Beautiful.
Deb R said…
Ohh I love your winding ways quilt too!!!! I've been to the chook shed, but haven't sewn in there as yet!!! Jealous, but glad you all had a wonderful weekend
Susan said…
Your quilt looks great - nice of Peg & Dale to keep you company..
Oh it was such a lovely weekend.....had a great time.........thanks for perking me up.........and 60deg of fun was heaps of fun.......so when are you coming again???
Jenny said…
I heard you had a visit to the chook shed. Looks like you all had fun. Love the quilt.
Nicky said…
Looks like so much fun was had by all. Your winding ways quilt is stunning, I love the colors/fabrics, very pretty.
Oh what a lovely post...I'd love to visit the Chookshed one day...learn about this 60o of fun...check out the views...and have some bubbles!
DAWNIE said…
Just love the border on that quilt - really sets it off. Nothing better than having a weekend stitching with friends.

Popular posts from this blog

Toorale homestead - Louth

We set off from Bourke  , we had stayed the night at Kidmans camp , which was a lovely spot and headed off south to start the Datling River run. For the first few hours we didn’t see any river as our first destination was  TooraleHomestead The drive in was pretty good , lots of dust and a little bit of corrigation but really quite good  We seen some wildlife including an eagle  Bit blurry as it was taken through the windscreen of the car ,  Some Emu’s and kangaroos  The homestead itself is closed to the public except during school holidays ,so we didn’t get to go in but , we knew before we arrived that was the case and I was keen to see it anyway. Sir Samuel McCaughey in partnership with his Brother John and cousin purchased Toorale, Nocoleche and Dunlop station. Acquiring 800 000 acres of land and 130 000 sheep and 80 horses.  Eventually Samuel bought his brother and cousin out. He built the homestead in 1896 as a wedding gift to his niece. The golden years for the homestead were betw

Scrappy chook quilt

So I have been keeping this one under wraps, not on purpose mainly just because I have been a very lazy blogger. A few months ago, as most of you know I had a visit to chookyblue's place, whilst there I had the pleasure to sleep under some of her gorgeous quilts. But one in particular took my fancy I just loved the scrappiness of this quilt, the lovely colours but mainly just the simple design. So when I headed up to Nundle for my retreat, I sent the lovely Kerry a photo and she assured me she could pull together some lovely fabrics and guide me, to put this lovely quilt together. When I arrived at Nundle This lovely bundle of fabrics awaited me The girls and I used the black and white feature on the iPad to determine light medium and dark fabrics I spent 3/4 of the first day creating these squares, I think I frustrated Miss Joolz because I just could not be random, I had to be organised I didn't want to get end and end up wit

Burren junction - Brewarinna

Beds on Barwon We left Newcastle at a reasonable time on Friday morning not gadgets ( my husband) usual 4am start and headed west.  We really never planned this trip out as such we vaguely decided that sitting by a river with a fire was our plan , a chance to take a deep breathe and slow down our lives for a bit. Almost 13 years ago we were extremely fortunate to do the darling river run with some wonderful friends and thought that we would love to repeat that trip and hopefully see the Darling river with water this time.  However at this stage our plans are a little up in the air with the road to Louth currently closed due to rain and some of the national parks closed for the same reason. Soo where are we heading , not sure but wherever we are heading it will be an adventure. So on day one we drove to Burren Junction where we spent our first night of our adventure at a truck stop  This is our new travelling Duo Reggie ( car) and Ruby ( van) we decided last year it was time to say good